Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Big Waste of Time

So I heard on the news the other day that social media networks such as Facebook were voted the biggest waste of time. Though I believe the majority of people would agree with this, I, on the otherhand, don't. My first inclination is to talk about the wonderful social aspects of Facebook, because I've always been a social person. I love hanging out with people and talking. I probably talk too much, except at work. For some reason at work, I tend to wear a different personality, but this is not about that.
I guess what I wanted to focus on in this quick blog is the constant blame we make on things for that which we fail at. In this instance, its Facebook.  I'm sure there is a blog out there that tells about all the evils of Facebook. The point of this blog is not to defend Facebook, but to put the blame where it really needs to go, our discipline of time.

It reminds of the debate about McDonald's and their menu of fatty foods. The statement was made that eating at McDonalds will make you gain weight. This was made famous by the movie Super Size Me, a documentary about eating at McDonald's for one month by Morgan Spurlock. After eating at McDonalds for one month, Spurlock gained 25 lbs and 7% body fat.  However, contrary to Mr. Spurlock, a woman named Merab Morgan ate only at McDonalds for 9 months and lost 33 lbs by eating only 1400 calories a day. The point is that McDonald's doesnt make you fat, your choices make you fat. I am not advocating McDonalds and do feel McDonalds is not the best place to eat, but where should the blame really be, McDonalds or our discipline of choice?

So, if you are not disciplined with eating right, don't go to McDonald's because you will gain weight, but the important thing is that discipline is the key. The truth is, an excess of anything good can turn terribly bad and the discipline of limiting the excess is what we lack.

The same reasoning applies to social media networks. The creation of these networks have helped families divided by cities and even countries to reconnect.  They are good when used for good and they are good when prioritized appropriately. Its not a waste of time to talk to friends or to look at pictures of your grandbaby who lives far away. It is not a waste of time to reconnect with the friend you've lost touch with years ago and share an encouraging word. However, if not disciplined with your use of social media networks, it can be hurtful. Spending more time on Facebook than you do with your spouse or playing games on Facebook instead of washing the clothes your kids need for school is definitely a big waste of time.


The key to all things good is discipline.

By the way, number three on the survey of wasted time activities was our jobs. Hmm? Now that's one I can agree with :)

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and discipline." Proverbs 1:7

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I love the internet and Facebook, but because I use it to enhance my personal life not distract from it. I like your concept of discipline. That IS what it's about. LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete