Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Christian Anarchy

This blog may be controversial. I think the title alone makes it so. Therefore, let me begin by defining the word anachy. Webster's dictionary describes "anarchy" as 1a) absence of government b) a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority c) a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government 2a) absence or denial of any authority or established order b) absence of order.

Why on earth would I write about this? I have no clue. I just know that is where my heart it at this moment. I find it so disheartening to see Christian believers being so involved in the goverment politics of our day. When its time to vote, there is so much discussion about government politics and often the discussion is far away from what Christ even taught. Why are we so easily strayed away from the teachings of Christ to follow the teachings of our government? Will no one stand up and say, "no, this is not what Jesus taught?"

For me, I guess it all began on the baseball field when I was a child. I saw my cousins who are Hispanic, being bullied by a couple of drunk white people because they did not stand up for the star spangled banner. The reason they did not stand up was because they were wrestling with their twin toddlers. The white couple told my cousins that they are not Americans. My cousins handled the situation well and even defended their American citizenship by explaining that their uncle died in Vietnam. This incident made American pride a forefront issue for me. To not take pride in America was looked on as a bad thing by others. Since this incident, which actually scared me quite a bit, I became very vocal about my American pride.  I raised the flag, I sang the anthem, I wore the flag t-shirts, I made my children stand and sing the anthem. This pride in America only increased as I learned American history in jr. high and high school. History was by far my best subject in school and my love for the United States drew my attention to early American History. I could not get enough of the stories of the forefathers.  Soon after high school, I discovered the History channel. That just took me over the top.

In my early twentites I found myself to be quite the debater. I debated about everything but my best subject was American government - politics. I considered myself a Republican. I even had a republican elephant beanie baby on my work computer in anticipation for someone to question me so that I may begin my political debate which I believed was a form of witnessing to them. I was enlightening them about the way - the Republican way.  When Bill Clinton was running against George H. Bush, I even passed out fliers to tell of the evils of the Democratic party.
In my late twenties, I had a new revelation from God which was actually a simple message yet a very hard task to live up to and in all honesty, I am still working on it. God simply asked me to love Him and serve Him only. Little by little, God spoke to me about the things to which He felt second in my life. Those things revealed thus far have been food, money or materialism, television and The United States of America (not in that order). I'm sure more revelations will be forthcoming because God is good. I've blogged about materialism often and have verbally talked about my food obession to some, but America? an idol? How can that be? After all, Romans 13 tells us we are to submit to our authorities right? How can loving America be idol worshiping? Its simple really. The love for my government had me arguing politics that looked nothing like the politics of Jesus (sermon on the mount). Could I be loving and worshiping my earthly government above my God's government of which I am pledged to?

As I reflected on my actions, my pride and love for America, I began to realize that the answer was most definitely yes. I realized my love for my government's politics was starting to supercede my love for Jesus politics (sermon on the mount). I'm not sure if I would label myself a Christian Anarchist.  But I am sure that today, my only allegience is to Jesus Christ and his flag over me is love!

No comments:

Post a Comment